Benefits and Lifestyle
The details of these opportunities will depend upon the bargaining unit affiliation, so be sure to review the Collective Agreements to learn more.
Red Deer Polytechnic provides a comprehensive benefits package for our employees. Depending on the bargaining unit affiliation or terms and conditions of employment, employee benefits include:
- Extended Health and Dental Care
Red Deer Polytechnic offers a competitive extended health and dental package with no waiting period for eligible employees. This package includes: vision, prescription, paramedical and emergency medical travel insurance.
- Health Spending Account
This account complements your extended health and dental plan by assisting to meet your unique health care needs with greater choice and flexibility, and by helping you pay for a wide range of health-related costs not covered by your plan.
- Pension Plan
Eligible employees participate in the Local Authorities Pension Plan, which includes both employee and employer contributions. The good news is, if you’ve already participated in other public pension plans, transferability agreements may exist.
- Employee and Family Assistance Plan
LifeWorks Employee and Family Assistance Plan (EFAP) is a confidential service available to employees and their dependents, at no cost, to help support well-being.
- LifeWorks has a variety of services, including counselling, financial and legal consultation, child care and elder care locator tools, and much more.
- The EFAP is designed to help individuals tackle well-being challenges, achieve better balance and prevent problems from becoming overwhelming.
- Services provided can support you through life stages and transitions including family challenges, career changes, grief or planning retirement.
- LifeWorks counsellors can also help you deal with depression, anxiety, fear and substance use issues, providing immediate and confidential assistance, 24 hours a day in times of crisis.
Red Deer Polytechnic offers generous vacation entitlement for permanent employees. The Polytechnic is also closed between Christmas and New Year’s Day, providing time off for employees to recharge and enjoy time with family and friends.
Throughout the year, Red Deer Polytechnic organizes many wellness activities and events to maintain and improve the happiness and quality of life for our employees.
Tuition Waiver Courses
Why Choose Red Deer and Central Alberta?
Red Deer and central Alberta provides a vibrant place to live, raise a family, work and play. With a population of approximately 100,000 citizens, Red Deer offers the amenities of Canada’s larger cities without some of the challenges.
As you consider Red Deer Polytechnic for your next career move, here are some highlights:
- Central Alberta has growing communities with great schools, well-equipped hospitals and health centres, and a variety of community groups and associations.
- The region has a lower cost-of-living than other major cities in Alberta and across Canada, and commutes to work may be as short as five to fifteen minutes.
- There is a vibrant arts and cultural scene, along with community-oriented events and attractions. You will have plenty of places to explore from local restaurants and markets, to historic attractions and museums, to vast walking trails and ski hills.
- From Red Deer, it is only a short, two-hour drive to the beautiful Rocky Mountains.
- The city is also situated between Edmonton and Calgary, with only a 1.5-hour drive to either.
Explore these resources to learn more:
- The City of Red Deer
- Tourism Red Deer
- Central Alberta Access Prosperity
- Central Alberta Economic Partnership
We understand that moving yourself and your family is a big decision. Red Deer Polytechnic may reimburse new employees who have been offered permanent employment for reasonable moving expenses they incurred, to assist in reducing the financial impact of relocating.
Reimbursement of relocation expenses must be discussed prior to an individual accepting an offer of employment and are offered in accordance with the Polytechnic’s policy. The employment contract will indicate an employee’s eligibility for reimbursement.