Red Deer Polytechnic offers exciting blend of summer camps in 2022
Red Deer Polytechnic and its Division of Extended Education are preparing to welcome summer camp participants back on-campus for a range of popular returning camps and some innovative new ones.
With a breadth of camps that spark a variety of interests, youth from central Alberta and across the province will be able to engage in an assortment of activities while gaining knowledge and skills in a supportive and collaborative environment.
“After two years of adjusted camps due to COVID-19, we are thrilled to offer an expanded number of in-person Day Camps and to bring back Overnight Camps at Red Deer Polytechnic,” says Rod Holt, Associate Vice President, Academic Entrepreneurship.
“I’m confident that the impressive selection of camps and high-quality instruction will help to create memorable experiences for youth. We look forward to having our campus filled with youthful energy, creativity, and wonder throughout the summer months.”
Beginning in July, the Polytechnic will offer an array of day camps that will entertain and educate students of different ages, interests, and abilities. There are several choices of Junior Chefs Camps for students aged 9 to 18 looking to enhance their cooking and baking skills. Youth will also be able to select from 20 different Science and Applied Technology Camps which will provide opportunities to engage in hands-on activities, to venture on field trips, and to conduct experiments. Students, who wish to be physically active and participate in sports, will be able to select from camps in badminton, basketball, soccer, volleyball, or all sports.
In addition, there are several new day camps:
- Dance Camps – With two August intakes, aspiring ballet dancers will discover the magic of The Nutcracker through a week of performances, collaborations, and entertainment.
- Cooking: Prep for Independence – An ideal cooking camp for teens aged 15 to 18 looking to enhance their cooking skills while budgeting and preparing for independent living.
- Science: Babysitting/Home Alone – This camp will prepare students aged 11 to 15 to be responsible babysitters, with the ability to recognize potential hazards and to respond appropriately during an emergency with CPR and First Aid knowledge.
- Science: To Infinity and Beyond – Children aged 6 to 8 will immerse themselves into space and learn more about our solar system, moon and sun.
- Sports: Squash - Students aged 12 to 15 will develop racquet skills and strategies as they experience the fast-paced game of squash in this half day camp.
- Entrepreneurship: Ten Peaks Entrepreneurship Camp - Students from grades 9 to 12 will work in teams to develop a new venture or social enterprise as part of a five-day Dragon's Den style camp. At the conclusion, campers will pitch their ideas to a panel of industry experts.
As part of several immersive RDP Overnight Camps for teens, Game Design, 3-D Animation, Traditional Film Camp, SummerScapes, MusiCamp, and ArtsTrek will provide students with innovative opportunities to learn, to foster their creativity, and to collaborate with peers and experts.
This year, the Polytechnic has expanded its Overnight Camps with Visual Effects for Movies. This two-week intensive camp will teach teens about title design, fundamental visual effects with Davinci Resolve software, and how to use green screens, digital masks, and node-based workflows in Blackmagic’s Fusion.
“We are very proud to inspire and collaborate with youth this summer in our state-of-the-art facilities, which house cutting edge technology, alongside our world class faculty and staff," says Holt. "These camps will provide opportunities for students to foster new friendships as they build on their skills and explore subjects and activities that may lead to the pursuit of a hobby or a future career.”
More information about the Polytechnic’s Day Camps and Overnight Camps, including how to register, is available online.
For media inquiries, contact:
brent [dot] forster [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (Brent Forster) or shelley [dot] newman [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (Shelley Newman)
Communications Strategists – Corporate
Red Deer Polytechnic