Awards and Scholarships
Red Deer Polytechnic grants its students more than $1,000,000 in awards and scholarships annually! Review and apply for our current opportunities below and check back often to ensure you're taking advantage of your award opportunities year-round!
Red Deer Polytechnic's Complete List of Awards and Scholarships
The Red Deer Polytechnic (RDP) award opportunities currently accepting applications are listed below. Please peruse Red Deer Polytechnic's full list of awards and scholarships and contact the Student Connect Centre should you have any questions.
Free money may be coming your way! Award and scholarship decisions will be made over the summer months. Award winners will be notified via email to your Red Deer Polytechnic email address. Don’t miss out!
Be sure to keep an eye on your Red Deer Polytechnic email account throughout the summer and fall. Log in to your Red Deer Polytechnic awards account using your Loop account username and password to view your award offers and next steps.
Questions? Contact the Student Connect Centre today.
Red Deer Polytechnic's General Awards Application
The deadline to complete RDP’s General Awards Application has passed. Thank you and best of luck to all applicants!
RDP’s General Awards Application is available between March 1 and May 31 annually.
Jason Lang and Louise McKinney Scholarships
- Must be continuing in full-time post-secondary studies
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person
- Must be an Alberta resident
- Must have completed 24 credits with a minimum GPA of 3.2 (to meet Jason Lang eligibility) or 30 credits with a minimum GPA of 3.7 (to meet Louise McKinney eligibility) over the previous two terms (not including Spring)
- Students can only receive one of these scholarships per academic year
- A maximum of 3 Jason Lang and/or Louise McKinney scholarships can be acquired in a student's academic lifetime
Current Red Deer Polytechnic (RDP) students meeting the above criteria will be notified via email to their Red Deer Polytechnic email addresses over the summer months. Nominees are required to complete the application linked in this email in order to be considered for the awards.
Students who have transferred to other institutions (including those currently enrolled in collaborative programs at RDP) must contact the Financial Aid Office at their current institution in order to discuss their Jason Lang and Louise McKinney Scholarship process.
Health Sciences Rural Practicum Bursary
Students enrolled in and required to travel to practicum placements outside of the City of Red Deer for the Practical Nurse Diploma, Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree or the Occupational and Physical Therapist Assistant Diploma programs may be eligible for the Health Sciences Rural Practicum Bursary! This bursary is intended to offset the financial burden of traveling to a distant practicum location.
Before applying, you must:
- Have a confirmed practicum placement at least 100km from Red Deer Polytechnic
- Know the practicum/clinic dates and location
Complete the Health Sciences Rural Practicum Bursary Application to be considered.
Deadline to apply for a Fall 2022 practicum: October 31, 2022
Deadline to apply for a Winter 2023 practicum: March 1, 2023
Indigenous Careers Award
If you are an Indigenous student attending full-time studies at Red Deer Polytechnic you may be eligible for the Indigenous Careers Award! This award provides support to Indigenous Albertans in their pursuit of post-secondary studies in certificate, diploma and degree programs. The award is valued at $2,000 per term, with a maximum of $4,000 per year.
- Must be of Indigenous ancestry
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Must be a resident of Alberta
- Must be a Red Deer Polytechnic student (collaborative students must apply through their institution)
- Must be enrolled in at least 60% of a full-time course load in the Fall 2022 term. If you are a student with a documented permanent disability you are considered full-time if you are enrolled in at least 40% of a full-time course load.
- Must have attended a post-secondary institution in the Winter 2022 term. If you attended a post-secondary institution other than Red Deer Polytechnic you must submit a statement of grades or transcript with your application.
- Must have a minimum GPA of 1.7. Applicants will be selected based on highest GPA.
We are currently accepting applications for students enrolled in Fall term 2022. Applications for the Winter term will be accepted starting in January 2023.
Complete the Indigenous Careers Award Application to be considered.
Deadline to apply for the Fall term award: October 15, 2022
Red Deer Polytechnic’s Tenants' Association Building Community Scholarship
Do you reside on campus? Would you like to organize an event, project or initiative for the betterment of your fellow Red Deer Polytechnic residents? If so, you need to apply for this scholarship! There are two scholarships to be awarded in the Fall term, and two to be awarded in the Winter term. The select recipient(s) will receive $200 to make their event, project or initiative a reality. Simply complete the Red Deer Polytechnic Tenants' Association Building Community Scholarship Application in order to be considered. Please note applications will be considered on a first-come first-serve basis.
Deadline to apply for a Fall 2021 project/event/initiative: November 15, 2021
Deadline to apply for a Winter 2022 project/event/initiative: March 15, 2022
Red Deer Polytechnic Athletic Awards and Scholarships
Current and prospective Red Deer Polytechnic athletes may be eligible for athletic awards and scholarships. Connect with the Red Deer Polytechnic team’s head coach to discuss your athletic award eligibility.
Support Red Deer Polytechnic's Awards Program
Interested in contributing to Red Deer Polytechnic's award and scholarship program? Learn how you can support Red Deer Polytechnic's awards program and RDP students today!
External Award Opportunities
In addition to Red Deer Polytechnic awards, maximize your scholarship potential by browsing our list of external award opportunities.