Health Insurance Information
The information below is applicable to international students enrolled at Red Deer Polytechnic.
International Student Health Insurance Quick Links:
- My Canada Plan
- Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)
- Students’ Association of Red Deer Polytechnic Extended Health & Dental Plan
The International Student Medical Plan provides coverage in the event of an emergent medical occurrence for eligible international students enrolled at Red Deer Polytechnic, such as an injury, illness, or accident, minimizing the costs associated with the effects of injury or ailments costs while studying in Canada. The coverage is comparable to doctor-insured services such as visiting a medical clinic or hospital. The fees will be added to your student account. Read more about what services may be covered here.
International students are automatically enrolled in the International Student Medical Plan and Repatriation Plan if they meet the following criteria:
- You are a new International student; or
- You are a continuing or returning International student and hold a valid study permit
- You are registered and accepted in an eligible program as an international student
- You are under the age of 65
International students are responsible for purchasing their own insurance while they travel to Canada and for the period prior to the first day of classes.
- Opting Out
International students who have valid Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) can submit an online Opt-Out application to waive the International Student Medical Plan by the applicable term deadline. You must upload to your application a picture or scan of your Alberta Health Card as proof of coverage when completing the online opt-out form.
Please reach out to mycanada [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (mycanada[at]rdpolytech[dot]ca) if you have questions.
Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan
Some international students may be eligible for free provincial healthcare through the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). Individuals who are eligible for this coverage are provided full coverage for medically necessary physician services, and some dental and oral surgical health services. Read about what services may be covered here.
International students studying in Alberta, may be eligible for AHCIP coverage if:
- The international student has a 12-month study permit (valid for an Alberta educational institution)
- The international student intends to reside in Alberta for 12 months or more
*International Students who provide proof of their Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan may be eligible to opt-out of the My Canada International Insurance Plan*
How to Apply for AHCIP
You cannot apply for Alberta Health Care coverage until you are physically here in Alberta. When you apply for Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) coverage, you must provide:
- Proof of Alberta residency
For example, this could be an electronic utility bill showing an Alberta address or a non-utility statement or correspondence mailed to your Alberta address
- Proof of your identity
For example, this could be an ID card or driver’s license issued by any official government or a valid passport
- Proof of legal entitlement to be in Canada
For example, this could be an approved and valid study permit
To review details on how to apply for AHCIP coverage, visit the Government of Alberta’s website.
Apply for the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP) by mail or at an authorized registry agent office.If you wish to apply in person, here are a few Registry Offices in Red Deer:
- Red Deer Registries, 7101 - 20 Sharpe Avenue, Red Deer
- One Stop License Shop, B - 3440 50th Ave, Red Deer
Students’ Association of Red Deer Polytechnic Extended Health & Dental Plan
The Students’ Association of Red Deer Polytechnic (formerly Red Deer College) offers an affordable extended Health & Dental Plan for full-time students. If you meet the eligibility requirements for enrollment, the cost of the plans is included in your fees.
This plan provides extended health and dental coverage. Click HERE to review additional information about this coverage, to download your benefits card, and to learn more about this coverage.
- Read about your coverage and reach out to sahealthplan [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (sahealthplan[at]rdpolytech[dot]ca) if you have questions
- Print off your myBenefits Card