English Language Proficiency Requirements
Understanding Red Deer Polytechnic's English Language Proficiency Requirements
- Applicants who declare English as first language are exempt from English Language Proficiency requirements.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must demonstrate English Language Proficiency (ELP) for admission to credit programs by providing official documentation to the Office of the Registrar at international [dot] admissions [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca or by regular mail, after an online application has been submitted.
- Certain RDP programs, have unique requirements. Ensure you review the requirements for your desired program. Applicants must also meet all other program admission requirements including the English course and minimum percentage grade required for the program.
- All English Language Proficiency tests must have been obtained within two years of start date of program.
- Applicants applying to the Academic Upgrading program are not required to demonstrate English Language Proficiency at the levels noted for credit programs. Placement assessments are used for admission to these programs.
English Language Proficiency Requirements Quick Links:
Applicants whose first language is not English must present one of the following English Language Proficiency requirements to be eligible for admission to health programs.
Bachelor of Science, Nursing - collaboration with University of Alberta
University Transfer: Bachelor of Kinesiology and Sport Studies
Kinesiology and Sport Studies Diploma
Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) to Bachelor of Science Nursing (BScN) Transition Program
Medical Laboratory Assistant Certificate
Occupational and Physical Therapist Assistant Diploma
Pharmacy Technician Diploma
Practical Nurse Diploma
Pre-Health Sciences Certificate
- Graduation from a high school in Canada with three consecutive, first language English courses/credits; or
- An undergraduate degree from a university in Canada, whose instruction was provided in English; or
- TOEFL or IELTS minimum scores as listed in the chart below:
|92 iBT or 580 PBT||7.0 overall with at least 6.5 on each band score|
Applicants to the Pharmacy Technician Program must also meet the language proficiency requirements of National Association of Pharmacy Regulatory Authorities.
HEALTH CARE AIDE CERTIFICATE (GOVERNMENT OF ALBERTA HEALTH CARE AIDE PROVINCIAL CURRICULUM 2019)
Applicants whose first language is not English must present one of the following English Language Proficiency requirements to be eligible for admission to the Health Care Aide program:
- By completing high school in Canada. Students must have been in English at an approved Canadian high school (grades 9, 10, 11, 12) with at least three consecutive years of full-time academic study; or
- By completing a recognized post-secondary degree or diploma program in Canada. The program must have involved at least two full years of full-time, consecutive academic study in English; or
- Approved English Proficiency Test in chart below:
|IELTS Academic||TOEFL||CELPIP General||CLB||Duolingo||CELBAN|
|6.0 with at least 5.5 on each band score||71 iBT||7 with no section score below 6||minimum of 7 in each of the 4 language skills||95||7 in each area|
ALL OTHER PROGRAMS (non-health programs)
1. Successful completion of three years full-time education in English at a secondary or post-secondary level:
- Completed within Canada including the grade 12 year.
- Completed in another country (see chart) where English is recognized as an official language of instruction and it is noted on the official transcript.
- Completed at a recognized school or institution which uses English as the primary language of instruction.
- A Medium of Instruction letter may be necessary to verify this.
- Enrolment in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses or programs will not be included in the calculation of three years of full-time study.
- Enrolment must be in a regular high school or post-secondary credit program.
2. Successful completion of English Language Arts (ELA) 30-1 or equivalent with a minimum grade of 60%.
3. Successful completion of the ILAC University Pathway Program (Level 3.2 or 3.3) with a minimum grade of 70%.
4. Successful completion of one of the recognized English Language Proficiency Tests in the chart below:
||Duolingo English Test|
|Early Learning and Childcare||N/A||6.5 with at least 6.0 on each band score||N/A||N/A||N/A||115|
|Bachelor of Education||100 iBT
|8.0 with at least 7.5 on each band score||80 with at least 75 on each band score||70 with at least 64 on each band score||76||115|
|All other non-health programs||
6.5 with at least 5.5 on each band score
60 with at least 55 on each band score
61 with at least 58 on each band score
|59 with at least 56 on each band score||115|
- CAEL testing is available at RDP. For more information and to book your test click here. (*CAEL Online is also accepted.)
- RDP will continue to accept IELTS Indicator where IELTS is not available in person.
- Equivalent English Language Arts 30-1 courses are available through the Academic Upgrading program.
- Enrolment in English as a Second Language (ESL) courses or programs will not be included in the calculation of three years of full-time study. Enrolment must be in a regular high school or post-secondary credit program.
- The Office of the Registrar is able to review your “unofficial” or scanned documents in order to admit you to a program and provide a Letter of Acceptance; however, you must provide official documentation to the Office of the Registrar prior to the first day of classes. This is a critical step in the admission process and you will not be granted “clear” admission until this step has been completed.
Full Names of English Language Proficiency Tests
- CAEL – Canadian Academic English Language
- CELPIP – Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program
- CELBAN – Canadian English Language Benchmark for Nurses
- CLB – Canadian Language Benchmark
- IELTS – International English Language Testing System
- MET – Michigan English Test
- PTE – Pearson Test of English
- TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language
View Our Campuses
Get to Know Us
View our Faculty & Staff Biographies