Early Childhood Education Leadership Development Certificate FAQs
- What does immersive workplace learning mean?
This delivery model is a combination of weekly synchronous Community of Practice sessions with an experienced facilitator, asynchronous learning on Blackboard supported by RDP Faculty, and a minimum of 20 hours of learning within your workplace. In this model, more than 51% of your learning occurs within your place of work.
- Am I eligible to complete immersive workplace learning in my place of employment?
Learners must be employed in a licensed early childhood setting for at least 20 hours per week. Any situation that does not meet the criteria will require consultation with the department before application. Emails can be directed to SET [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (subject: %20) (set[at]rdpolytech[dot]ca).
- Can I complete the employment letter for myself if I am the Director of the program?
Yes, if you hold the highest position in your program and do not have a direct supervisor/administrator then you can complete the employment letter on your own behalf.
- If I do not have an ELCC Diploma or Certificate, what levels of experience and education will be considered for Admission?
Foundational knowledge of the Early Learning and Child Care field is essential for this program. If you do not meet the standard admission requirements your education and experience will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Examples include a Level 2 equivalent with 10 years of experience running a preschool program, a Level 3 equivalent with 2 years of experience as a director of a daycare, or a Level 2 equivalent with 5 years of experience as an assistant director, etc.
- Are the courses scheduled throughout the year?
Courses run from September to the end of June. The term start and end dates fall slightly outside of the typical Red Deer Polytechnic Academic Schedule.
- What is the course sequencing?
- Fall: ECEL 3001 Leading in Context; ECEL 3002 Ethics, Advocacy & Professionalism; ECEL 3003 Organizational Leadership
- Winter: ECEL 3004 Human Resource Management; ECEL 3005 Business Operations; ECEL 3006 Family and Community Relationships
- Spring: ECEL 3007 Learning Environments & Curriculum; ECEL 3008 Pedagogical Leadership
- How much time away from work is required to complete the course work?
Time away from work happens during the Community of Practice, which is when you will connect with the Course Instructor, the facilitator, and your peer network. The Community of Practice is on Wednesday from 3:30 to 5:20 pm using the online classroom Blackboard Collaborate.
- How much time outside of the workplace will be required each week, to complete the coursework?
Learners should plan for 2.5-3 hours a week to complete the coursework. Additional time may be needed to complete the readings and assessments.
- When can I start the program?
This program is currently only offered with a September start date.
- Is there a part-time option?
There is currently no part-time option for this program.
- How much does the program cost?
The initial offering of the program has reduced tuition costs due to Government of Alberta grant funding.
- Is this program eligible for financial aid?
Yes, depending on individual circumstances. More information available at the financial aid website.
- Does this program qualify for Alberta Child Care Grant Funding?
Learners may be eligible for Grant Funding, based on their individual employment criteria.
- How will it be noted on the parchment?
Upon successful completion of all courses, your parchment will be noted as Red Deer Polytechnic Early Childhood Education Leadership Development Certificate.