COVID-19 Vaccine Program: FAQs for Employees
The information below provides additional details about Red Deer Polytechnic's COVID-19 vaccination program. For additional information about COVID-19 vaccines or provincial health measures, visit the Government of Alberta website.
Current employee: an employee who has an existing employment contract at December 31, 2021 and will continue to be employed under the same employment contract beyond January 1, 2022. In the event an employment contract with an employee ends the individual would be subject to the vaccination requirements as outlined in the policy that takes effect January 1, 2022.
New employee: an employee who will begin a new employment contract on or after January 1, 2022, regardless of whether the individual has previously worked within another employment contract for Red Deer Polytechnic.
- proof of receiving two doses of a World Health Organization approved COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized for use by Health Canada in a two-dose vaccine series and at least 14 days have passed since the date on which the person received the second dose of vaccine OR
- proof of receiving one dose in a one-dose World Health Organization approved COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized for use by Health Canada series and at least 14 days have passed since the date on which the person received the one dose of vaccine.
Partially vaccinated means those individuals who have proof of receiving at least one dose of a World Health Organization approved COVID-19 vaccine that has been authorized for use by Health Canada and at least 14 have passed since the date on which the person received the first dose of vaccine.
- Full vaccination, with proof provided through a Red Deer Polytechnic-approved QR code (see Vaccine Verification Using the RDC Safe App for details),
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 rapid test, provided as per communications with People and Culture (see Rapid Testing for details), OR
- Proof of a Red Deer Polytechnic exemption (see Exemptions for details).
- Full vaccination, with proof provided through a Red Deer Polytechnic-approved QR code (see Vaccine Verification Using the RDC Safe App for details), OR
- Proof of a Red Deer Polytechnic exemption (see Exemptions for details).
Please note that new employees and new students will not be permitted the rapid testing option, as described in Rapid Testing.
Visitors to campus can find full details about requirements at Vaccine Program.
What if I primarily work remotely? Do I still need to be vaccinated for COVID-19?
Red Deer Polytechnic offers flexible work options, but all employees regardless of their usual work location are required to attend campus for team meetings and other events. As a result, all employees are required to adhere to the parameters described above.
Yes. Effective September 4, 2021, the Government of Alberta has made masks mandatory in all indoor public spaces regardless of a person’s vaccination status.
In addition to wearing a face covering, Red Deer Polytechnic has its own COVID-19 health and safety protocols which everyone on campus is required to follow.
Do I need to continue to use the SAFE RDC app?
- Students and employees WILL need to complete the COVID-19 Contact Tracing and Daily Health Checklist on the SAFE RDC app. This is because of the other measures in place through Red Deer Polytechnic’s vaccine program.
- Students and employees WILL use the SAFE RDC app to upload their vaccine documents, Red Deer Polytechnic exemption or rapid test results, as described on the Vaccine Program webpage.
If you have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 90 days and are choosing to not receive a vaccination, you will need to complete the medical exemption request form.
Alberta Health Services recommends that individuals can receive their COVID-19 vaccination once a person is symptom-free. If you do not wish to receive your vaccination within this 90-day window, you can apply for a medical exemption from Red Deer Polytechnic.
Please note that completing the exemption request form does not guarantee approval of the exemption.
Red Deer Polytechnic is committed to protecting the health and safety of its students, staff, faculty and broader community while on its campuses. As a public, post-secondary institution, Red Deer Polytechnic will continue to adhere to current public health measures, including a separate (and sector-specific) exemption program for post-secondary institutions identified by the Government of Alberta, as we all do our part to protect one another during the COVID-19 pandemic.
COVID-19 vaccines play an important role in helping to protect our community and bringing the pandemic to an end. Requiring members of the Red Deer Polytechnic community to provide proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 tests helps work towards the safest possible working and learning environment for everyone.
Please review Red Deer Polytechnic's COVID-19 vaccination policy.
All personal information provided is confidential and will not be shared except as strictly required to enforce the policy. The requirement to provide proof of immunization, report vaccination status or provide proof of a negative rapid test is one measure Red Deer Polytechnic is taking in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic to protect the health and safety of our community.
If you have questions about the collection or use of your personal information, please contact Red Deer Polytechnic's Access & Privacy Coordinator by privacy [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (email).
Has Red Deer Polytechnic consulted the bargaining agents about this vaccination plan?
Red Deer Polytechnic has consulted with all affected bargaining agents (CUPE, AUPE and FARDC). We fully expect to work together to ensure the health and safety of their members and all other individuals who are part of the Red Deer Polytechnic community.
How can Red Deer Polytechnic request a person to provide their vaccination status? This is private and confidential medical information.
Alberta’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act [Section 33(c)] permits public organizations, such as Red Deer Polytechnic, to collect personal information from individuals when that information is directly related to, and necessary for operating a program within the organization.
In this context, Red Deer Polytechnic is permitted to collect proof of vaccination for use only in identifying an individual’s compliance with the institution’s vaccination program.
Vaccination Program and Alberta Human Rights
For information for information related to COVID-19 and Human Rights, please refer to the Alberta Human Rights Commission website.
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, Red Deer Polytechnic has a duty to help keep its students, faculty, staff, and visitors safe while on its campuses. Red Deer Polytechnic is following COVID-19 recommendations from the Government of Alberta. Other post-secondary institutions in Alberta are also implementing a vaccination plan for on-campus students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Red Deer Polytechnic acknowledges that, in limited circumstances and in accordance with the Alberta Human Rights Act, exemptions may be provided to the vaccine requirement for medical or religious reasons. Learn more about Red Deer Polytechnic exemptions.
Employees who have additional questions can email elr [at] rdpolytech [dot] ca (elr[at]rdpolytech[dot]ca).