Face Covering Requirements for Fall 2021 Term
Further to the Government of Alberta’s announcement on September 3 regarding measures in place to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, face coverings will be required in all indoor spaces on Red Deer Polytechnic’s campuses as of 8:00 am on September 4. This measure applies to all students, faculty, staff, contractors, suppliers and guests on our main and downtown campuses.
Are there exceptions to the face covering requirement?
We will continue to monitor all guidance from the Government of Alberta, Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference and Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association.
As of September 4, the following specific exceptions apply:
- Instructors are permitted to remove their face covering when teaching at the front of a room and when a two-metre distance from others can be upheld. Instructors are required to wear a face covering before and after teaching, and when a two-metre distance from others cannot be maintained.
- Individuals are permitted to remove their face coverings within the fitness zones in the Gary W. Harris Canada Games Centre. This includes the Collicutt Performance Fitness Zone, Larkaun Homes Squash Courts, and Border Paving Running Track.
- Student-athletes are required to wear face coverings in indoor public spaces and change rooms but not on the field of play for training, practices or competition. These protocols apply to all Red Deer Polytechnic teams and visiting teams. All coaches and Athletics support staff are required to wear face coverings in all indoor spaces.
- Youth in the Child Care Centre will not be required to wear face coverings, but all staff will be required to wear face coverings.
- Individuals are not required to wear a face covering when working alone in an office or when working in a safely distanced cubicle or when an alternate effective barrier is in place.
What kind of face coverings are acceptable?
ACCEPTABLE face coverings include:
- Reusable cloth face coverings as long as they have multiple layers of fabric
- Single-use (disposable) face coverings
- Specialized and approved face coverings required for specific teaching circumstances
The following ARE NOT acceptable:
- Face shields: these are used to protect the eyes of the person wearing it; using a face shield without a mask will not provide protection from exposure to COVID-19
- Neck gaiters, warmers or buff: these are likely to move or slip and they are difficult to remove without contaminating yourself
- Masks with exhalation valves: these do not protect others from exposure to COVID-19
- Clear masks: will need to be assessed by Health, Safety and Wellness on a case-by-case basis (please see contact information below)
If you have any questions about the specific circumstances for your class, lab or shop, contact Health, Safety and Wellness by health [dot] safety [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (email) or by phone at 403.342.3427.
For general information on face coverings, visit COVID-19: Masking Requirements on the Government of Alberta website.
Are there exemptions to face covering protocols?
Some students, staff and guests will be exempt from this requirement. These include:
- Persons who are unable to place, use or remove a mask without assistance;
- Persons unable to wear a mask due to mental, medical, physical, or sensory concerns or limitations;
- Persons providing care or assistance to a person with a disability where a mask would hinder that caregiving or assistance (e.g., person who is working with a deaf individual who needs to see lips in order to read them)
In order to be considered exempt, a person must contact Health, Safety & Wellness Centre by health [dot] safety [at] rdc [dot] ab [dot] ca (email )or by phone at 403.342.3427 and provide documentation.
Visit coming to campus for additional measures required for all students, employees and guests on campus.