Employee Professional Development
Life-long Learning is Our Commitment
Red Deer Polytechnic is committed to providing opportunities that enrich the professional and personal growth of employees. These opportunities may occur through continuing education and lifelong learning.
RDP provides numerous general professional development (PD) opportunities for faculty and staff. This includes hosting dynamic speakers and other professional development activities throughout each year.
In addition, funding is also available for eligible employees to engage in professional development opportunities. These opportunities may include pursuing advanced degrees, attending conferences and workshops, participating in webinars or seminars, and more. This supports employees as they learn about trends and best practices, while also increasing their knowledge in various subjects to best support our students and communities.
Staff Professional Development
Eligibility and funding for professional development varies depending on bargaining unit affiliation and the terms and conditions of employment. See the collective agreements for more information.
Instructor Professional Development
Red Deer Polytechnic instructors are required and expected to engage in a variety of non-teaching activities that contribute toward their own ongoing professional development and toward the RDP community. These activities will occur during the academic year, excluding approved vacation periods.
Relevant professional development activities are those that serve to strengthen pedagogical, academic, and professional currency and capability. Such activities may include discipline scholarship, scholarship of teaching, study, research, workshops, conferences and other activities that may enhance professional or teaching capabilities.
Professional development activities are a provision of the Faculty Association of Red Deer Polytechnic (FARDP) Collective Agreement and are administered by the Faculty PD Committee.
Connect With Red Deer Polytechnic's Faculty PD Committee Members
We look forward to supporting Red Deer Polytechnic faculty members with all of your professional development pursuits through a variety of PD opportunities.
Supercluster Representatives by Program
- Kathy Schepp (Nursing, Last Names A-M)
- Lynne Madsen (Nursing, Last Names N-Z)
- Wes Maciejewski (Sciences, Pharmacy Technician and Medical Lab Assistant)
- Larry Steinbrenner (Humanities & Social Sciences)
- Shauna Garrow (Academic Upgrading, Early Learning & Child Care, Educational Assistant, Bachelor of Education and Social Work)
- Kevin Willoughby (Donald School of Business Programs)
- Wes Hingst (Apprenticeships)
- Bill Petrosenko (Apprenticeships)
- Keith Hansen (Kinesiology & Sports Studies)
- Keith McDonald (Occupational and Physical Therapy, Centre for Teaching, Learning and Scholarship, Student Supports/Student Success, Library, Student Mental Health, Counseling and Career Centre and Confluence Campus)
- Yvonne Phillips (Performing and Visual Arts, Engineering Technologies Animation and Visual Effects, Computer Programming and Health Care Aide)
- Ray Savage (Chair)
- Josh Thomsen (PD Consultant)
- Stephane Perreault (PD Consultant)
- Dan Haas (Administrative Representative)
- Anna King (Administrative Assistant)
- Jason Nevins (Treasurer)
- Lee Hallett (Trades Expense Claim Processor)
- Stephanie Powers (Electronic Media Consultant)